Pages

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Scribe of the Unspeakable

H.P. Lovecraft
28 mm




This Bears Head miniature was a real pleasure to paint!  Part literary caricature, part dramatic fictional character, it's an excellent sculpt, crisp and dynamic.  Waving his unholy idol and clutching his dog-eared copy of the Necronomicon, the author unleashes the creative process on an unsuspecting world...

I learned a few new things about Lovecraft in the painting process, like his hair colour, for which I had to consult professional Lovecraft impersonator Leeman Kessler, as no colour photographs of the author seem to exist.  I've always enjoyed Lovecraft's lurid works, and despite his substantial... personal shortcomings... and the fact that many of his creations have reached the status of self-parody in recent fandom, I truly think he was a man of remarkable imagination who contributed a lot to the fantasy, horror and SF genres.

Late night rites at the Miskatonic University library...


4 comments:

  1. Well done. Looks great with those tentacles too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work, especially on the eldritch tome. Looks like Unaussprechlichen Kulten to me.
    And thanks for introducing me to Ask Lovecraft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeman's a funny guy! Definitely worth following :)

      Glad you like my HPL, and his eldrich tome. I was pretty happy with how it turned out too. I'm not familiar with Robert Howard's mythos fiction, I'll have to check it out.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!